Slow Cooker Refried Beans -
Community Recipe from
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans - 2 pts; 29g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber
- Recipe By :
- Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
- Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
- LowFat (Less than 5%) Vegan
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- -------- ------------ ------------ --------- --------- --
- 2 cups dried pinto beans -- sorted
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 1/2 yellow onions
- 1 1/2 red onions
- 10 whole garlic cloves
- For frying: -- (optional) butter, olive oil, or [your choice]
- Use a 4-quart slow cooker.
- You need to soak the beans overnight to soften them, and to help release gas. Rinse the beans well in a colander, and pour into your slow cooker. Add enough water so that the beans are fully immersed, with an additional 2 to 3 inches of water on top. Put the lid on the slow cooker. Do not turn on the cooker.
- IN the morning, drain and rinse the beans under cold running water. Put them back in the crock with enough clean water to cover the beans with about 1-inch of water. Stir in the cumin and coriander. Peel and cut the onions in half, and put them in, too. Peel all of the garlic and toss it in whole. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Fish out the onions and garlic cloves. If you want to keep some of the garlic in for flavor, you may; it's your choice. If the beans are soft and you still have a bit of liquid left, carefully drain, saving a little liquid to help with the smooshing and for added flavor. Use a potato masher, or handheld mixer, to mash the beans.
- Now you have two options. You can just start using the beans (the way I did, because I'm pretty darn lazy), or you can scoop hunks of smooshed beans out of the crock and fry them on the stovetop with a bit of butter, olive oil, or [your choice]. No salt was added, so you'll need to season to taste. I was able to make four freezer containers to pull out for lunches and snacks. This is a very cost-effective way to make refried beans.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Slow Cooker Refried Beans - Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews
More Recipes for Main Dishes