Slow Cooker Pot of Beans
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 pound(s) dried beans
- 16 cup(s) water
- 1 bouquet garni (2-4in stalks celery tied with fresh rosemary, sage, or thyme)
- Sea salt to taste
- shredded cheese of choice
- Place the beans in a colander and rinse under running water; pick over for damaged beans or small stones. Place in a 5-6 quart cooker and cover with cold water. Soak for 6-12 hours. Drain.
- Add the fresh water and the bouquet garni, if using, to the beans in the crock. Make sure the beans are covered by a few inches of water, adding more as needed. Cover and cook on HIGH. The beans must be covered with liquid at all times to cook properly. The water will cook into liquid similar in color to whatever bean you are cooking--called bean liquor. When the beans are done, they will be tender yet hold their shape and not fall apart. Discard the bouquet garni. Leave the beans whole, or gently mash a portion of the beans in the pot, which will thicken them nicely.
- Serve the beans immediately in soup bowls, topped with a sprinkle of sea salt and shredded cheese, if desired. Or let stand in the cooker for 1 hour, uncovered, then drain and use in another recipe or transfer iwth their liquor to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ad5colorado and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Slow Cooker Pot of Beans Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables