My family is very southern, and this recipe tastes so familiar to me, without having to tend the stove! I make this recipe at least once a month and my family loves it. I make it exactly as written most of the time, but if I forget to pick up condensed chicken broth at the store I have found that 1 1/2 cups of regular chicken broth + one bouillon cube works just as well. Use ALL of the seasoning mixture on the chops (bone-in is critical for moist, fall apart chops) and between that and the broth we find this dish plenty flavorful, no additional salt needed. The onions just melt into the peas, adding even more flavor. I keep the seasonings as written because I have small children who don't like spice. My husband and I add pepper sauce to the peas at the table to spice it up. I have tried this with frozen black-eyed peas, not as good, and it doesn't cook in the allotted time. Field peas are more tender and cook faster; if you try black-eyed peas you'll need another hour.
Slow-Cooker Pork Chops and Field Peas
More From Southern Living
6 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen field peas with snaps, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 (1-inch-thick) bone-in pork chops (about 3 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2-oz.) can condensed chicken broth
- 1. Place peas in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Combine mustard and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over pork chops. Dredge pork in flour.
- 3. Cook pork, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or just until browned. Transfer pork to slow cooker. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- 4. Sauté onion in hot drippings over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Spoon onion mixture over pork in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes