- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 3/4 cups chopped fresh fennel
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (2-lb.) boneless pork loin roast
- Hot cooked pasta
How to Make It
Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to high, and stir in wine. Bring to a boil, and boil, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced by half.
Add whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper, and transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
Stir together Parmesan cheese, next 3 ingredients, and remaining salt and pepper. Rub mixture over all sides of pork roast, pressing to adhere.
Place pork roast in slow cooker, and cook on LOW 8 hours. Carefully remove pork from slow cooker, and let stand 5 minutes. Slice pork, and serve with sauce over hot cooked pasta.
We tested with Swanson Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth.