Some reviewers complained that it was very bland/bitter. I think the bitter comes from orange peel that has been given a wax coating. Use an organic orange to avoid this. As far as bland, adding 2 tsp. of coriander plus another 1/2 tsp. pepper solved that problem nicely. If you really wanted heat, you could probably add cayenne pepper as well.
Slow-Cooker Orange Chicken with Potatoes
The addition of butternut squash and a fresh orange makes this braised chicken company worthy. Round out the chicken-and-vegetables meal with rice steamed in the microwave, and your dinner prep is complete.
More From Real Simple
Other: 3 Hours
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 127mg
- Sodium: 479mg
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 9g
- Protein: 35g
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 orange, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, onions, potatoes, squash, garlic, orange, broth, honey, and thyme. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Divide the chicken mixture into individual bowls.
If You Don't Have a Slow Cooker: Heat oven to 325° F. Follow the recipe above using a Dutch oven or large casserole. Bake, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart slow cooker. Because different models cook at different rates, the cooking time below is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, as the escaped heat will significantly slow the cooking). If the food is not done, cover and cook to the end of the suggested time range. If using a slow-cooker smaller than 6 quarts, the cooking time may take an additional hour or more, and results may vary.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note