Pretty solid meal- only subs I did was use turkey bacon instead of regular and added maybe 20 oz of tomatoes (I had some homemade canned I wanted to use up). It has a little kick, just a warning. I served it with sauteed kale splashed with a bit of lemon juice and chicken stock (trying to get the bitter out a little). I only stirred it once, and all the beans stayed in tack. Would make again considering it is crazy easy and is loaded with good nutrients and fiber!
Slow Cooker Hoppin' John
This slow cooker hoppin' john recipe is perfect for New Year's Day celebrations.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place bacon in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until just beginning to crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape bacon, bacon fat and onion into slow cooker. Add crushed red pepper, peas and 4 cups water and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until peas are nearly tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, rice and salt. Cover and continue to cook just until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Go whole grain. Swap in brown rice instead of white to add fiber and other nutrients to this already healthful dish.
Turn up the heat. Like a kick? Use more crushed red pepper and sprinkle the dish with hot sauce just before serving (or pass the sauce at the table).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note