This recipe was a big hit in our household. The only exception I made to the recipe is that I left out the pineapple juice from the rice, just using water as you would normally, simply because my husband is Diabetic and I felt it would just be that much more sugar for him to deal with. It did not diminish from the overall flavor of this dinner. Easy to prepare and very yummy. Might have to try the dressing on a salad sometime!
Slow Cooker Golden Sesame Ginger Chicken
Not your typical slow-cooker dish, this sweet and savory chicken recipe is the category winner for Salad Dressings in the Fast Family Dinners Recipe Contest sponsored by Newman's Own. Note that the cook time in the slow cooker is 6 hours. Don't go any longer or the chicken will be tough and the potatoes too mushy. Add more red pepper flakes if your family enjoys spicy dishes.
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained, reserving liquid
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle NEWMAN'S OWN Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing, reserving 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions and tops
- Place sweet potatoes, apricots, raisins, pineapple and garlic in a slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken breasts and ginger dressing. Sprinkle with onion flakes and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch with reserved 2 tablespoons reserved dressing, and add to chicken mixture to thicken sauce.
- Prepare rice in a saucepan according to package directions using 1 ¼ cup water and ¾ cup reserved pineapple liquid in place of some of the water. Set aside and keep warm.
- To serve, spoon rice evenly onto 4 plates. Top each with a chicken breast and the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note