Delicious, easy recipe. I added 1 cup of cold coffee and eliminated the red wine. It turned out great!
Slow-cooker Chuck Roast
Prep the chuck roast in the morning and let it cook in the slow cooker all day so the meat will be tender, juicy, and ready to eat when you come home from work. Serve the simple gravy over the roast and carrots.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 1 (3 1/4- to 3 3/4-lb.) chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (1-lb.) package baby carrots
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. Rub roasts evenly with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- 2. Brown roasts on all sides in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat (about 10 minutes). Place roasts, side by side, in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots and remaining ingredients.
- 3. Cook, covered, on LOW 10 to 12 hours or until tender. Remove roast and vegetables, and shred meat. Pour gravy mixture from slow cooker into a 4-cup measuring cup or fat strainer, and let stand 15 minutes. Spoon or pour fat out of gravy mixture in cup or fat strainer, and discard. Serve gravy with shredded roast and carrots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note