- 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 uncooked thick bacon slices, chopped
- 1 (4-lb.) whole chicken
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 Bibb lettuce or radicchio leaves
- Toppings: green onion slices, sweet mini pepper slices, spicy pickles
- Garnish: dried crushed red pepper
How to Make It
Place first 4 ingredients in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Add chicken, 1/3 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup water. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours or until meat easily pulls from bone. Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Shred meat. Pour cooking liquid through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup; discard solids. Let cooking liquid stand 10 minutes. Skim fat, and reserve 1/3 cup cooking liquid. Toss remaining cooking liquid with chicken.
Whisk together mayonnaise, red pepper, reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Spoon chicken into lettuce leaves; drizzle with sauce. Add toppings. Serve immediately.