Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
One-dish supper but VERY rich and hearty. Def a cold weather comfort food type meal! You can use thawed chicken and shave an hour or two off cook time if in a rush but they hold up best if frozen. Dont shred until time to add dumplngs, this keeps chicken moist. Resist temptation to remove lid to 'check on' the biscuits, the steam is what cooks them.
Yield: 1 serving
Community Recipe from
- 4 Frozen boneless chicken breasts or thighs Rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup(s) Frozen peas and carrots
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) Butter Divided into two pats
- 1 can(s) Cream of chicken soup Low sodium
- 1 can(s) Cream of mushroom soup Low sodium
- 12 ounce(s) Package of refrigerated biscuit dough Pillsbury Grand is good
- 1 teaspoon(s) Celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) Poultry seasoning or Mrs Dash
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Pepper
- 16 ounce(s) Low sodium chicken broth
- Combine cumin, poultry seasoning, celery seed, and pepper, sprinkle or rub over chicken.
- Place chicken into cooker and lay pats of butter on top. Cover with peas, carrots, and onion. Cover evenly with cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. Add chicken broth.
- Cover, and cook for 6 hours on High or 8 hours on Low. Roughly 2 hrs before serving (at the 4 hr mark on high or the 6 hr mark on low), shred the chicken and return it to pot. Open the dough and tear each precut biscuit into 4 smaller pieces. Place the torn biscuit dough on top of the chicken mixture and make sure that you push them down into the liquid mixture a little, so that they get cooked on the tops, too and saturated with the chicken flavor. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in center (about 2 hrs). If you cooked it on Low, turn it up to high now for the last 2 hours so dough cooks thoroughly. Take top off crock last 20-30 min to dry out dumplings they seem too dough-y.
- If too dry, add chicken broth. If too watery, add cornstarch mixed in a little broth.
- These are definitely dumplings. Consider baking biscuits separately and pour the chicken mixture over the hot biscuits if you prefer large, fluffy, browned biscuits (chicken and biscuits).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Khospodar and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes