This was SO delicious. I have made it twice. The second batch I used stew beef rather than short ribs. Slightly less prep work. I cut down on the garlic as we are not garlic lovers. Put in a ham hock as well.
slow cooker Brazilian Feijoda
Community Recipe from
- 2 cup(s) dried black beans
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 pound(s) boneless pork shoulder cut to 1/2" pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 3 bpne in short ribs
- 3 cup(s) onion finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) white vinegar
- 8 orange wedges from 2 oranges
- 1. Place black beans in a small saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; cook beans for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Sprinkle pork evenly with 14 teaspoon salt and 14 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, Add pork to drippings in skillet; saute 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer pork to a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs evenly with 143 teaspoon salt and remaining 14 teaspoon pepper. Add ribs to skillet; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in slow cooker. Add drained beans, remain-ing 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 3 ingredients (through ham hock) to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beans and meat are tender.
- 3. Remove ribs from slow cooker; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred meat with 2 forks. Discard bones. Discard ham hock. Return beef to slow cooker. Stir in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Serve with orange wedges.
- SERVES 8 (serving size: 1i/4 cups bear mixture and 1 orange wedge)
- CALORIES 458; FAT 174g (sat 6.8g, mono 67g, poly 11g); PROTEIN 39.5g; CARB 35.8g; FIBER 11.6g; CHOL 96mg; IRON 6.4mg; SODIUM 533mg; CALC 102mg
This recipe is a personal recipe added by loafie1 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
slow cooker Brazilian Feijoda Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes