- 1 (16-oz.) package dried black beans
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (32-oz.) container low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
How to Make It
Rinse and sort beans according to package directions. Place beans in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add water 2 inches above beans; let soak 8 hours. Drain and rinse. Return beans to slow cooker.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; add to slow cooker.
Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in hot drippings 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in ham, cumin, and ground peppers. Sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet; add mixture to slow cooker. Stir in remaining chicken broth and 1 cup water.
Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours or LOW 8 hours or until beans are tender.