This recipe makes a hearty, wonderful meal, and freezes well. I will definitely make this again!
Slow-Cooker Beer-Braised Pork and Black Bean Soup
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart slow cooker. Because different models cook at different rates, the cooking time below is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, as the escaped heat will significantly slow the cooking). If the food is not done, cover and cook to the end of the suggested time range. If using a slow-cooker smaller than 6 quarts, the cooking time may take an additional hour or more, and results may vary.
More From Real Simple
Other: 5 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 609
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 599mg
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 36g
- 2 12-ounce bottles of beer (preferably lager)
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt (pork shoulder)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup store-bought refrigerated fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beer, 3 cups water, the chilies, adobo sauce, cumin, onion, beans, pork, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the beans are tender and the pork pulls apart easily, 4 to 5 1/2 hours. Using a fork, separate the pork into large pieces. Divide among individual bowls and top with the sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.
If You Don't Have a Slow Cooker: Heat oven to 300° F. Follow the recipe above using a Dutch oven or large casserole. Bake, covered, until the pork pulls apart easily, 4 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note