Good recipe, not a keeper though. 1) Two inch beef chunks are a bit too big. 2) Needed something else--maybe more salt? Some tomato paste to give it an acidic kick. 3) Way too much work for a nice, lazy slow cooker recipe.
Classic Slow Cooker Beef Stew
A nutty dark beer adds richness and depth to the stew. Be careful not to choose a beer that's super-hoppy; it will taste too bitter. To get 2 pounds of trimmed meat, you'll probably need to purchase a 2 1/2-pound roast.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 8 Hours
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 17.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 25.1g
- Carbohydrate: 28.3g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 509mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 2 pounds trimmed boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 medium yellow onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) nut brown ale
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Dutch potatoes, halved
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of beef to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning until well browned on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef; remove beef and any juices from pan.
- 2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onions and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock, remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer. Carefully pour mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add beef, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- 3. Combine remaining 1/4 cup stock and flour, stirring with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into stew; cook 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note