Slow Cooker Beef Lettuce Wraps with Quick Pickles
- Cooking spray
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 11 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white miso (soybean paste)
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 3/4 cup julienne-cut carrot
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- calories 213
- fat 8.9 g
- satfat 2.2 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 24 g
- carbohydrate 9 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 66 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 575 mg
- calcium 39 mg
- sugars 6 g
- Est. Added Sugars 5 g
How to Make It
Coat bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer onion slices in bottom of slow cooker; top with garlic.
Heat canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chuck roast to pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Place beef on top of onions and garlic; pour any drippings from pan over top.
Combine stock, soy sauce, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour mixture over beef and onions in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Place cucumber and carrot in 2 shallow bowls 15 minutes before meat is done. Combine remaining 1/2 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; divide vinegar mixture evenly between cucumbers and carrots. Let stand until ready to serve; drain well.
Transfer beef from slow cooker to a large platter; shred with 2 forks. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add shredded beef to pan, pressing into an even layer. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, without stirring. Turn off heat. Sprinkle evenly with salt and 1/4 cup cooking liquid from slow cooker; toss to coat. Discard remaining cooking liquid, onions, and garlic. Divide beef and pickles among lettuce leaves; sprinkle with sesame seeds.