Although it did take a considerable amount of time (most of it unattended), it was really delicious! I served this with a spinach salad and crusty bread ~ it was VERY GOOD!
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Don't be turned off by the total time this recipe requires: Eight hours are simply for soaking beans overnight, and another eight are for hands-off cooking. Because dried kidney beans contain a toxin that's not killed at the low temperatures of the slow cooker, we boil them briskly for 10 minutes first; don't be tempted to skip this step.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 16 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 486
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 65g
- Fiber: 16g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 7mg
- Sodium: 634mg
- Calcium: 117mg
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped poblano chile
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (12-ounce) can lager-style beer (such as Budweiser)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain beans.
- 2. Return beans to saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes; drain.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add sausage; cook 6 minutes or until browned. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); cook 8 minutes. Stir in beer; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Place sausage mixture in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans, stock, red pepper, black pepper, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 4. Discard bay leaves. Stir in 1/4 cup green onions and vinegar. Serve over rice; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note