I read the other comments and decided to use 1/3 of the sugar and then added it slowly tasting it after it had been well stirred. I ended up using 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar, which is A LOT less than called for in the original recipe. My crockpot seems to cook fast so I only cooked it 3 hours to begin with and then about 2 hours after I added the sugars. Delicious!
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 4 pounds cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place sliced apple and vinegar in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, at HIGH 6 hours. Stir in sugars and nutmeg. Reduce setting to LOW; cook, covered, 4 hours. Cool. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note