Loved this recipe because I was able to get a head start on dinner with a great collard recipe. I used 1-1/2 bouillon cubes mixed in water instead of the stock and did not add salt. I also added "Tuscan herb" seasoning. It came out great! The recipe is a great add to a southern buffet you might plan, especially since you get to use the crock pot that keeps it warm for guests and off the stove/out of the oven.
Slow-Cooked Collard Greens
Photo: Oxmoor House
A sprinkling of pepper sauce is the ultimate Southern condiment for these greens.
Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 9 hours
Slow-Cooker Size: 6-quart
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 smoked turkey wing (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans Italian-seasoned chicken broth
- 2 (1-pound) packages chopped fresh collard greens
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pepper sauce
- Remove skin and meat from turkey wing, discarding skin and bone. Coarsely chop meat.
- Combine chopped turkey and next 6 ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 9 hours or until greens are tender. Serve with pepper sauce.
- Soppin' Up: Have some corn bread or rolls handy for sopping up the juices.
- Dual Slow-Cooker Menu:
- * Ready-to-bake macaroni and cheese
- * Hot-and-Spicy Black Eyed Peas
- * Deli cornbread
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note