I left out the lemon and made this with pork roast. I liked that the recipe used ingredients from my pantry. I didn't take the time to boil down the sauce, so I served the pork without it. My husband and stepdaughter both liked the flavor. I would make it again.
Slow-cooked Barbecued Chicken
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
- 1/2 cup cola soft drink
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over chicken. Place chicken in a single layer in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Whisk together cola soft drink and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly pour mixture between chicken pieces (to avoid removing spices from chicken). Place lemon slices in a single layer on top of chicken.
- 3. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours (or on LOW 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours) or until done.
- 4. Transfer chicken pieces to a serving platter; discard lemon slices. Skim fat from pan juices in slow cooker. Pour pan juices over chicken; serve immediately.
- TRY THIS TWIST!
- Slow-cooked Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Remove chicken from slow cooker, and let cool slightly (about 10 to 15 minutes). Discard lemons. Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Skim fat from pan juices, and pour over chicken. Serve chicken over sliced Sweet Potato Cornbread. Top with Pickled Peppers & Onions and Simple Slaw.
- Note: To make ahead, cool shredded chicken completely. Freeze in an airtight container up to 3 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes