Slow-Braised Short Ribs with Chile-Chocolate Sauce
Community Recipe from
- pinch(s) xxx
- Tina’s Slow-Braised Short Ribs with Chile-Chocolate Sauce
- Serves 4
- Adapted with permission from the recipe by Abby McManigle of Tina’s
- 4 beef short ribs, about 8 ounces each
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups good-quality red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, warm two tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs and sear, turning frequently, until the meat is browned on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate and discard the drippings in the pan. Place the pan back on the stove over medium heat, add the red wine, and deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- 3. Add the beef stock, guajillo and ancho chiles, cinnamon stick, and chocolate. Place the browned short ribs back in the pan with the stock and seasonings. Cover with a lid, and place in the oven. Cook for 3 to 3½ hours until the meat is tender and beginning to fall off the bone.
- 4. Remove the meat from the braising liquid and cover it with foil to keep it warm. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Using a blender, process the braising liquid until the mixture is a smooth puree, then return the liquid to the pan. (Alternatively, leave the braising liquid in the pan and use an immersion blender to puree it.) Simmer the puree over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes until it reduces to a thick, glossy sauce. Place the short ribs back in the sauce; stir to coat. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve the short ribs and sauce over polenta or creamy potatoes
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MaryGermain and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Slow-Braised Short Ribs with Chile-Chocolate Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes