Sloppy Joe - authentic school recipe
This is the actual recipe used in grade school that you remember as a kid. Batch size has been re-calculated from the institutional size (using 15 pounds of hamburger). Quick and easy to make, and FAR better than Sloppy Joe from a can
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) ground round hamburger
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 1/2 ounce(s) krtchup (I prefer Heinz)
- 1/8 cup(s) brown sugar, rounded
- 1/2 stalk(s) celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dry mustard, rounded
- 1/2 ounce(s) white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, kosher prefered
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground pepper
- Use large fry pan, or dutch oven.
- 1. Add 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive oil to pan. Heat and coat pan bottom
- 2. Saute chopped onions until lightly browned
- 3. Add chopped celery. Saute 1 min
- 4. Add hamburger and brown thoroughly
- 5. Drain excess fat
- 4. Add all remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly. Simmer for 5 minutes minimum.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by DennisVW and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note