Skirt Steak With Corn Cakes
A thin, flavorful cut, skirt steak has a porous texture that easily absorbs the flavor of rubs and marinades. Hangar or flank steak is a good substitute. Recipe by Charlyne Mattox, July 2011. From the Real Simple website: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/skirt-steak-corn-cakes-00000000060217/index.html.
Rest: 5 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound(s) skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup(s) corn kernels (from 1 to 2 ears), plus more for serving
- â¢ Sour cream, fresh salsa, grated Cheddar, cut-up avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges, for serving
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the chili powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Make a well in the center and add the milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Whisk together the wet ingredients, then incorporate the dry ingredients (do not overmix). Mix in the corn.
- 3. Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop heaping ¼-cup portions of batter into the skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 4. Serve the corn cakes topped with the steak, corn, sour cream, salsa, Cheddar, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note