Skinny Meatballs With Sauce
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 521
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 44g
- Carbohydrate: 76g
- Fiber: 12g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 7mg
- Sodium: 801mg
- Calcium: 114mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 bell peppers (1 red and 1 yellow), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 (26-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (25-ounce) jar reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 pound chicken sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup dried whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Hot cooked whole-wheat spaghetti (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. For sauce, heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers, and cook 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more.
- 2. Add ripe tomato and remaining 7 sauce ingredients (through crushed pepper); stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cover and cook 20 minutes.
- 3. Preheat broiler.
- 4. For meatballs, stir together meats, egg whites, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl until just combined. (Don't overwork.) Using slightly wet hands, form 1-ounce (walnut-size) meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from flame, turning, 2–3 minutes or until browned.
- 5. Add meatballs to sauce; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Divide cooked pasta, sauce, and meatballs among 6 bowls. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note