Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole
Community Recipe from
- 2 cup(s) long grain brown rice
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 4 cup(s) broccoli florets (1 head)
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound(s) chicken breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- garlic powder
- 5 teaspoon(s) flour
- 2 cup(s) milk divided
- 1/3 cup(s) light sour cream
- 8 ounce(s) cheddar cheese, divided shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. When rice has 5 minutes left to cook add broccoli and green onions on top to steam.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then saute until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside then very carefully wipe out skillet with a dry paper towel.
- Turn heat down to medium then whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl. Pour mixture into skillet then add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Combine cooked rice and broccoli mixture with cheese sauce then scoop mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9×13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- I could have started with a more photogenic recipe, but this dish was worth bringing back into the spotlight right away. Homey, comforting and so dang good, you’ll find yourself sneaking your fork back into the dish again and again. Enjoy!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mbusque and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes