Skillet Tamale Pie
Notes: If your frying pan is not big enough to add the topping in step 3, transfer hot meat mixture in step 2 to a hot, shallow 3-quart casserole (warm in oven as it preheats), then continue.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 387
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 31g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Cholesterol: 96mg
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 pound ground lean (7% fat) beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) salt-free diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced black ripe olives, drained
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. In an 11- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (2 to 3 in. deep, 2 1/2- to 3-quart capacity) over high heat, stir onion, beef, chili powder, and cumin seeds until beef is crumbled and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Add tomatoes (including juices), corn, and olives; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended (mixture will be thin). Pour evenly over hot meat mixture. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 4. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until the top feels firm when lightly touched, about 15 minutes. Scoop out servings with a large spoon. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note