I love this recipe! I bake brown rice earlier in the day to use in this recipe. We don't like green peppers, so I added thawed frozen peas instead. And I seasoned it with a little smoked paprika. It goes really well with the smoked sausage. Here's mine: http://www.edesiasnotebook.com/2012/05/smoked-sausage-peas-and-rice-skillet.html
Skillet Sausage 'n' Rice
Make this rice and smoked sausage main dish recipe all in one skillet for an easy weeknight meal with very little cleanup.
More From Southern Living
- 1 (16-oz.) package smoked sausage
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (3.5-oz.) bags quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch slices. Sauté in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage slices, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- 2. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet, and bring to a boil. Remove rice from cooking bag; add rice, sausage, salt, and pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note