I thought this was a good basic recipe, but I made a significant number of revisions. First, I sauteed some diced onions and minced garlic, then removed from heat. Next, I browned the chicken on each side, then removed from heat. I then made the sauce and deglazed the pan, but then added the chicken, onions, and garlic back to the pan and simmered (covered) until it was cooked through (about 10 more minutes). I added additional broth as necessary to keep the liquid level high enough.
Skillet-Roasted Chicken with Baby Artichokes and Olives
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 393
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 32.1g
- Carbohydrate: 41.7g
- Fiber: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 787mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 (4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 18 baby artichokes
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 16 picholine olives, pitted
- 3 cups hot cooked white rice
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Split chicken in half lengthwise. Heat canola oil in a large stainless steel skillet over high heat. Place chicken, skin side down, in pan; place pan in oven. Cook chicken at 500° for 10 minutes; remove from oven. Carefully turn chicken over; pour 1 1/2 cups broth over chicken. Return pan to oven; cook an additional 25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 10 minutes. Remove skin from chicken; discard skin. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; slice chicken. Cover and keep warm.
- Combine 3 cups water and juice in a large bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within 1/4-inch from the base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom; trim about 1 inch from top of artichoke. Cut each artichoke lengthwise into quarters. Place artichoke quarters in lemon water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain artichokes well; pat dry. Add artichokes to pan. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender; uncover. Increase heat to high; cook 2 minutes or until artichokes are golden, stirring frequently. Place artichokes in a medium bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour chicken drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Place pan over medium-high heat. Drain drippings into pan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 8 minutes).
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons broth and flour, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to drippings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add artichokes, capers, and olives; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve with chicken and rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine