- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1/2 pound medium-size raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions (green parts only), sliced
How to Make It
Cook rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water and adding fresh thyme sprigs to broth. Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet; discard thyme sprigs. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
Meanwhile, toss together chicken pieces, 2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Cook chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add yellow onion, green pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Increase heat to high.
Stir in okra, rice, shrimp, red pepper, and remaining salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and rice is thoroughly heated. Stir in tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
We tested with Swanson Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth.