Skillet Red Cabbage
Every menu needs an easy recipe like this skillet side dish. Once you've done the slicing and shredding, the recipe needs very little attention.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 large purple onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium-size red cabbage (2 pounds), cored and coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Sauté onion in butter in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook onion 15 more minutes or until caramelized, stirring often.
- Toss shredded cabbage with vinegar and sugar. Gradually add to caramelized onion in skillet, stirring well. Cover and cook over medium heat 25 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables