This made kale tasty, had not been able to accomplish that before. I also used a fontina/asiago/Parmesan blend as fontina on its own was too expensive. I used feta instead of blue cheese, this probably changed the taste, but we loved it. Also, my crust tasted great but looked weird, maybe because I pulled it too far over the skillet edges? or it could have been my dough. Next time I would only pull to the sides of the skillet and slightly up.
Skillet Kale Pizza
We like Skillet Kale Pizza not only for its flavor but for its seasonality. This pizza combines the sharp flavors of red pepper, red onion, and crumbly blue cheese with a hearty helping of fresh kale.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 1 pound bakery pizza dough
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups firmly packed coarsely chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Cover with a clean cloth, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour.
- 2. Roll dough to a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; cover with plastic wrap.
- 3. Preheat oven to 450°. Cook onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add kale and rosemary. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or just until wilted. Stir in vinegar. Add salt to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4. Wipe skillet clean. Reduce heat to medium. Coat skillet with 2 tsp. oil; sprinkle with cornmeal. Arrange dough in skillet, gently stretching edges to cover bottom and sides of skillet. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with kale mixture and cheeses. Brush edges with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
- 5. Bake at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Sprinkle with red pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine