Skillet Eggs and Polenta
Warm and comforting, but also unexpected and versatile, this hearty breakfast is a hit for entertaining or just a simple family affair.
Yield: 4 servings
More From The National got milk? Campaign
Amount per serving
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 190mg
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sodium: 690mg
- Calcium: 250mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 1 jar (32 ounces) marinara sauce
- 2 1/2 cups lowfat or fat free milk
- 1/2 cup finely ground polenta or cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Spray a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and zucchini, and sauté until vegetables soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Add marinara and simmer to heat through. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Bring milk and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Slowly whisk in polenta, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Carefully crack eggs into pan and cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes.
- To serve, divide polenta among 4 shallow serving bowls; top with marinara and an egg. Sprinkle with chopped basil if desired.
Nutrition figures based on using fat free milk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Skillet Eggs and Polenta Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes