The cream was a bit gravy-like and the flour became lumpy. Maybe it was my whisking technique. I'd make it again but make the cream less thick.
Skillet Creamed Corn
- 6 bacon slices
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in corn; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat.
- Cook flour in a large clean skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until golden. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until smooth. Add corn mixture, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and basil. Sprinkle each serving with bacon, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables