- 6 bacon slices
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
Sauté onion and garlic in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in corn; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat.
Cook flour in a large clean skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until golden. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until smooth. Add corn mixture, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and basil. Sprinkle each serving with bacon, and garnish, if desired.