More From Southern Living
- 2 to 3 tsp. bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes. (Skillet may smoke a bit.)
- 2. Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- 3. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads