I loved this recipe. Moist yet still good texture. Even without the cast iron skillet, it turned out great. I used an aluminum cake pan.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.
- Note: This recipe is adapted from Hoppin' John's Lowcountry Cooking by John Martin Taylor.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads