- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 16 unpeeled jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 1/4 ounce white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 3/4 cups chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- calories 273
- fat 11.7 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 6.5 g
- polyfat 2.6 g
- protein 32.7 g
- carbohydrate 9.2 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- cholesterol 229 mg
- iron 4.4 mg
- sodium 534 mg
- calcium 104 mg
How to Make It
Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
Combine parsley, 1 tablespoon oil, juice, crushed red pepper, and shrimp in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds and bread to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until nuts are golden. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato and roasted bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until the tomato begins to break down. Place the tomato mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add vinegar and salt to tomato mixture; pulse until combined. Cool to room temperature.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of shrimp mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining shrimp mixture. Serve with sauce.