Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Community Recipe from
- CHICKEN PIE FILLING
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash browns
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup frozen small sweet peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- PASTRY CRUST
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 1. Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a large
- saucepan over medium heat; add all-purpose flour, and cook, whisking constantly,
- 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 6
- to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in Creole
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add
- onion and mushrooms, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, next
- 4 ingredients, and sauce.
- 3. Prepare Crust: Place 1 pie crust in a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron
- skillet. Spoon chicken mixture over pie crust, and top with remaining pie crust.
- 4. Whisk egg white until foamy; brush top of pie crust with egg white. Cut 4
- to 5 slits in top of pie for steam to escape.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until golden brown and
- TRY THIS TWIST!
- Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon-and-Cheddar Biscuits: Omit pie crusts and egg
- white. Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare Chicken Pie Filling as directed through
- Step 2. Spoon filling into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Cut 1/2
- cup cold butter into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut butter cubes into 2 cups self-rising
- flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly and mixture resembles small
- peas. Add 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped
- cooked bacon, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1 cup whipping cream, stirring
- just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured
- surface, and knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch
- thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to form 15 biscuits. Bake Chicken
- Pie Filling at 425° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and arrange biscuits on
- top of hot chicken mixture. Bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until biscuits are
- golden brown and chicken mixture
- is bubbly. Remove from oven, and brush biscuits with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.
- Hands-on time: 50 min.; Total time: 1 hr., 30 min.
- Southern Living
- JANUARY 2012
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes