Skillet Apple Pie
This is a fun apple pie alternative
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable shortening chilled (Crisco or lard)
- 6 tablespoon(s) cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 3/4 tablespoon(s) ice water
- 1/2 cup(s) apple cider
- 1/3 cup(s) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon(s) crnstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pound(s) sweet and tart apples cored, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. slices
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- FOR CRUST: Pulse flour salt and sugar in food processor until blended. Add shortening and pulse until the texture is coarse sand.Scatter butter pieces and pulse until mixture is coarse cumbs.Add ice water one teaspoon at a time pulsing between until dough comes together. Place dough on floured plastic wrap sheet. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 days. If refrigerated over 1 hour let sit at room temperature until workable.
- For Filling: Move oven rack to upper middle of oven. Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Whisk apple cider, syrup, lemon juice, cornstarch and cinnamon together in a bowl. Melt butter in oven proof skillet add apples and cook stirring until the apples begin to carmelize about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Roll out dough between two lightly floured plastic sheets to skillet top size. Place on top of skillet. and trim to fit . Brush dough with egg wash and sprinle sugar. Cut through dough in wheel spoke fashion. Bake until the apples are tender and the crust is goldenbrown about 20 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by gotapengwen and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Skillet Apple Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts