I have been making this recipe for over 10 years, the web site seems to have lost the previous ratings. It is one of our all-time favorites. I use whatever type of steaks I have on hand, and it always turns on fabulous. (porterhouse steaks, strip streaks, ribeye, etc.) I prefer to grill my steaks, and then lay them on top of my cooked vegetables and pour the cooked marinade over it, just before serving.
Sizzling Steak with Roasted Vegetables
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Mary Catherine Muir
A hot skillet allows you to control the degree of doneness more precisely, and the intense heat helps seal in flavor. Zip-top bags simplify the marinating process.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak, 1 cup vegetables, and 2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 379
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 37.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 7.1mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- Roasted vegetables:
- 1 cup (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 1 cup (1-inch) pieces yellow bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 12 small red potatoes, quartered (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 shallots, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- To prepare marinade, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add steaks to bag, and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare the roasted vegetables, combine bell peppers, 2 teaspoons oil, potatoes, shallots, and salt in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove steaks from bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons black pepper and salt over each side of steaks. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks, and saute for 3 minutes on each side or until the steaks are at the desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from pan. Add reserved marinade to skillet, and boil 1 minute, scraping skillet to loosen browned bits. Stir in horseradish. Pour sauce over steaks and vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note