A spicy North African-style pepper sauce amps up the flavor in these beef kebabs. Prepare the sauce up to one day ahead.
Cooking Light JULY 2011
1. Preheat broiler.
2. To prepare pepper sauce, cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag, and fold to close tightly. Let stand for 20 minutes. Peel. Place peppers and the next 8 ingredients (through red pepper) in a blender, and process until smooth.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. To prepare couscous, combine 1 cup water, broth, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; discard bay leaf.
5. Arrange eggplant and the next 3 ingredients (though green onions) on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and well marked. Remove from heat; coarsely chop vegetables. Combine 1/2 cup pepper sauce, couscous, and chopped vegetables in a large bowl; toss gently. Keep warm.
6. To prepare skewers, thread beef onto 12 (7-inch) skewers. Lightly coat beef with cooking spray, and sprinkle with black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once. Serve with couscous mixture and remaining sauce.
Go to full version of