This was excellent! I have also made the couscous and vegetables without the meat and it was deliecious and hearty enought for a vegetarian meal. This is a family favorite!
Sirloin Skewers with Grilled Vegetable Couscous and Fiery Pepper Sauce
A spicy North African-style pepper sauce amps up the flavor in these beef kebabs. Prepare the sauce up to one day ahead.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 11 Minutes
- Calories: 526
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 36.7g
- Carbohydrate: 58.5g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 461mg
- Calcium: 75mg
- Pepper sauce:
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
- 8 ounces eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces squash, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 green onions, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. To prepare pepper sauce, cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag, and fold to close tightly. Let stand for 20 minutes. Peel. Place peppers and the next 8 ingredients (through red pepper) in a blender, and process until smooth.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 4. To prepare couscous, combine 1 cup water, broth, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; discard bay leaf.
- 5. Arrange eggplant and the next 3 ingredients (though green onions) on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and well marked. Remove from heat; coarsely chop vegetables. Combine 1/2 cup pepper sauce, couscous, and chopped vegetables in a large bowl; toss gently. Keep warm.
- 6. To prepare skewers, thread beef onto 12 (7-inch) skewers. Lightly coat beef with cooking spray, and sprinkle with black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once. Serve with couscous mixture and remaining sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note