- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 6 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- calories 619
- fat 29 g
- satfat 10 g
- protein 61 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 200 mg
- sodium 548 mg
How to Make It
Place meat in a large bowl; season all over with salt and pepper and coat in flour. Warm 2 Tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry half of meat until brown all over, about 4 minutes; place cubes in a slow cooker. Warm remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet, fry remaining meat and place in slow cooker.
Add onions and carrots to skillet and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Add onion mixture to slow cooker.
Pour vinegar and wine into skillet, bring to a boil and then add mixture to slow cooker. Season mixture with salt, pepper and thyme; add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low heat until meat is tender, 5 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaf and serve hot.