Simple Turnip Greens
Sugar can be added during cooking to eliminate a bitter taste although this technique is sometimes debated.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 bunch fresh turnip greens (about 4 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound salt pork (streak of lean) or smoked pork shoulder
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Wash greens thoroughly; drain and tear greens into pieces. Set aside.
- Slice salt pork at 1/4-inch intervals, cutting to, but not through, the skin.
- Combine salt pork, 3 quarts water, pepper, and, if desired, sugar in a Dutch oven; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add greens, and cook, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables