I absolutely love this recipe! We've had a family meatloaf recipe I've followed for years. Thought I would try something new and fell in love with it! The oatmeal and milk make it so moist. And the topping is just right for my boys..a little bit of sweet. I usually add a package of dry onion soup mix to give a bit more flavor;you can add your own spices at will.
This simple meatloaf gets great reviews because it is a quick and easy choice for a family dinner. Ground chuck offers lots of flavor and is less expensive, but we chose lean ground beef because it has less fat. The best part is that this dish can be frozen.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl just until blended; place in a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- 2. Stir together ketchup, brown sugar, and yellow mustard; pour evenly over meatloaf.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes, and remove from pan before slicing.
- Note: Wrap meatloaf in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note