Simple Layer Cake with Vanilla Frosting from Martha Stewart
Community Recipe from
- 1 stick(s) unsalted butter, softened plus more for cake pans & parchment
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fine salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick(s) unsalted butter softened
- 4 ounce(s) cream cheese room temperature
- 5 cup(s) confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) fine salt
- 1/4 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1. To prepare the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment; butter parchment as well. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat together 1 stick butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, beating until combined. Add 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- 2. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops with an off-set spatula. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 33 to 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks to cool completely.
- 3. To make the frosting: Beat together 1 stick butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to medium. Add confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. If not using immediately, cover surface of frosting with plastic wrap. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 week. Before using, bring to room temperature, then beat on low speed until smooth.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a cake plate and spread 1 cup frosting on top. Place remaining cake layer on top. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting, swirling to coat in a decorative fashion. If frosting becomes too soft, refrigerate to firm up. Cake can be covered with a cake dome and refrigerated overnight. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Simple Layer Cake with Vanilla Frosting from Martha Stewart Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
More Recipes for Main Dishes