Simple Herb-Roasted Turkey
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 2 1/2 hours; Stand: 30 minutes.
More From Health
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 50g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 167mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1 (10–12 pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 celery rib, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 packages fresh herb blend for poultry, roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- Additional herbs, for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Remove turkey neck and giblets; discard. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Combine onion, celery, garlic, herbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Stuff turkey cavity with mixture. Tie ends of legs with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under bird.
- 2. Place roasting rack coated with cooking spray in a roasting pan. Place turkey on rack. Brush top and sides of turkey with butter; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour 1 cup broth in pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Cover breast tightly with foil, and add remaining cup broth to bottom of roasting pan, and bake an additional 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh (away from bone) registers 165°. (Temperature will continue to rise when bird is resting.) Remove from oven; let rest 30 minutes before slicing. Transfer to a platter, garnish with fresh herbs, if desired, and serve.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note