This is a good basic recipe, which I really appreciated very much. Here's how I punched it up: I chopped one onion and sauteed it, then added about twice as many mushrooms, then added and sauteed the rice, Then I added 1 tsp Japanese mushroom broth powder (very salty, so no need for salt) white pepper, paprika and black pepper. I also added paprika to sprinkle over the chicken. Since some members of my family are lactose intolerant, I replaced the buttermilk with more wine, and upon checking in the cooking process, found I need to add another quarter cup. Turned out great and was a big hit with kids and adults alike. Thanks! I will totally do it again :)
Simple Chicken and Rice
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine*
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (3 1/2 lb.) cut-up whole chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º. Stir together rice, chicken broth, buttermilk, wine, mushrooms, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Spoon rice mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Place chicken on top of rice mixture.
- 2. Bake, covered, at 350º for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is done. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
- *1/2 cup chicken broth may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes