I made this for a potluck and had lots of requests for the recipe...even from the meat lovers! I have made this recipe several times and it has become a family favorite. I have made this with chicken as well and it is delicious! I have topped this with fresh green onion and I have also tried adding some sauteed onion and garlic with the browned tofu and peanut sauce. This is an easy, delicious meal and easy to adapt to personal tastes with different vegetables and toppings.
Simple and Delicious Peanut Tofu with Fresh Vegetables
Crisp, fresh vegetables and tofu browned in peanut oil give this dish fresh flavor and a crunchy, chewy texture. The peanut sauce ties the ingredients together with a blast of savory goodness. This is a healthy, flavorful, and vegan dish even your favorite carnivores will love. Enjoy! *NOTE: I created this after getting this peanut sauce recipe from a friend, so vegetable and herb measurements are approximate and to taste.
Press Tofu: 20 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cup(s) cooked white or brown rice
- 1/2 cup(s) creamy peanut butter
- 1 block(s) extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 1 large clove(s) garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) molasses
- 3 tablespoon(s) peanut oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon(s) plus 1 teaspoon, fresh lime juice
- 1 whole(s) red or green jalapeno chile, seeded
- 1/4-1/2 cup(s) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- Sriracha Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- Slice tofu crosswise into 8 "steaks" (about 1/2 inch thick). Place tofu between several layers of paper towels and press to remove moisture, approximately 20 minutes. (A great way to do this is to place a cutting board over the top layer of paper towels and weigh it down with several canned goods).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add tofu steaks and cook until golden brown on both sides (approximately 6-8 minutes per side). Add more oil if necessary. Remove tofu from pan and cut into bite-sized pieces when cool enough to handle.
- While tofu is browning, place onion, garlic, chile, remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil, soy sauce, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in brown sugar and next four ingredients until combined.
- Wipe skillet with paper towels to remove any remaining oil. Return tofu pieces to pan with peanut sauce and heat over low heat until warm.
- To Serve: Pour peanut sauce with tofu over rice and top with vegetables, nuts, and herbs to taste. Serve with Sriracha hot sauce for those that like it spicy.
- **NOTE: This recipe is mild spice. For medium spice, leave half of seeds in jalapeno. For spicy version, leave all seeds in jalapeno.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by homecookin4me and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note