While I didn't dislike this recipe, I wasn't super impressed either. The proportion of greens to polenta (even considering that I ended up with more like 14 c. total) was a little light for my family's tastes, and the polenta (which I made without milk due to lactose issues - water instead) was spicier than I had anticipated (not bad for me, but it made it inedible for my toddler, who handles light spiciness well) which was a bummer because I think she would have really liked it. Had I made it with milk, I think the milk probably would have balanced some of the kick. It tasted good, though, and was a nice accompaniment to some simple oven-roasted salmon fillets -- so a good recipe, but not my favorite.
Sicilian-Style Greens over Polenta
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 336
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 55.8g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- Calcium: 340mg
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups chopped Belgian endive (about 4 ounces)
- 4 cups chopped kale (about 4 ounces)
- 4 cups chopped turnip greens (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add endive; cook 1 minute or until endive begins to wilt, stirring constantly. Add kale; cook 1 minute or until kale begins to wilt, stirring constantly. Add turnip greens; cook 1 minute or until greens begin to wilt. Stir in raisins and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until greens are tender; set aside.
- Combine cornmeal and pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually add broth and milk, stirring with whisk; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes; stir occasionally. Add 1/4 cup cheese.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook 1 minute or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Spoon 1 cup polenta onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 cup greens mixture. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons breadcrumb mixture and 1 teaspoon pine nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note