Sicilian-Style Eggplant Caponata
Refrigerate: 4 Hours
- 6 cup(s) chopped eggplant, about 2 medium
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 cup(s) celery, diced
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) capers, drained
- 1/4 cup(s) lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) natural cane sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried chile flakes, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/2 cup(s) green Sicilian olives, minced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss chopped eggplant with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place a piece of unbleached parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread eggplant in one layer over the parchment paper. Bake eggplant for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion, garlic and celery over medium heat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and eggplant. Continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add capers, pine nuts, sugar, vinegar and chili flakes, if desired. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until tomatoes are tender and vegetables are melding together.
- Garnish with minced olives. Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note